Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Roy Rogers, “Mackintosh and T. J.” Blu-ray Restoration

 


In his final film, Roy Rogers played a down-on-his luck ranch hand looking for work who gives a wayward teen (Clay O’Brien) a ride which begins their odd friendship. Originally released in November 1975, the film wasn’t a blockbuster hit and Rogers was on record saying “There's no leading lady, no shooting, some fights, but no blood spurting, and that's the way I wanted it.” Moving at a leisurely pace, the story’s centerpiece is the relationship between Mackintosh and T. J. while also providing an unblemished look at 1970’s era ranch life. Filmed on location in Texas, the landscape is brightly lit but rugged and unrelenting. The film’s realism adds texture to the story. This is a fine film that I hope will find a wider audience with this stunning 4k restoration from the original 35mm camera negative which restores the color composition and puts viewers right into the scene. Young Clay O’Brien had previously starred with John Wayne (The Cowboys and Cahill, U.S. Marshal) and retired from acting after this film to become a professional rodeo performer. He was inducted into the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame in 1997. The supporting cast includes Joan Hackett, Billy Green Bush, Andrew Robison, Luke Askew, James Hampton, Dennis Fimple and Walter Barnes. All well-known and capable character actors. Mackintosh and T. J. works as an Ode to the Old West while serving as an affectionate and heartwarming coda for Rogers, the King of the Cowboys. Critics were hard on the film, but I have always enjoyed it. It’s not complicated. It’s down-to-earth, tells a simple story cleanly, and it’s Roy Rogers’ swan song. The Bonus material is worth watching, too. I recall watching this film upon its release, all by my lonesome self in the near-empty theatre, and loving it. I was acutely aware at the mark Time leaves on us all, just as I am now watching this splendid Blu-ray presentation. Adios, Roy. It’s always good seeing you again.



Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar